A.I.R. GALLERY FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION
12-month sponsored membership and solo show opportunity for emerging and under-represented self-identified women and non-binary artists.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2020 AT 11:59 PM
In order to be eligible for the A.I.R. Fellowship program you must be:
- A self-identified woman or non-binary artist.
- Have not had a solo exhibition at a permanent commercial gallery in NYC in the last 10 years.
- Are residents, or within commuting distance of, New York City metropolitan area for the duration of the Fellowship.
- 18 years or older.
- Not a student or enrolled in any degree-seeking program at the time of the program.
- Not participating in a comparable development program or residency program during your Fellowship.
- Not currently a member, employee, or board member of A.I.R. Gallery, and never have had a solo show at A.I.R. Gallery.
- Not a Fellowship alumna.
Not sure if you qualify? Check our frequently asked questions page for more info.
If you still have questions, A.I.R. will host a free Info Session. It is not mandatory, however, it is strongly encouraged that applicants attend the workshop if possible. The Info Session will take place on September 23, 2020 at 6PM
Artists awarded the A.I.R. Fellowship will receive a solo exhibition sponsored in full by the gallery, development workshops with a professional in the field, a one-on-one studio visit with one of the review panelists, an artist-mentor at A.I.R. Gallery to work with throughout the program, and much more.
Artists are required to develop and execute one community project in the spirit of A.I.R.’s community. Artists will present a brief artist’s talk at the opening reception for their exhibition. They are expected to commit to participation in the program and the A.I.R. community by attending events and workshops.
IMAGE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- 72ppi, JPG, RGB files only.
- Image may not exceed 1000 pixels in any direction.
- Images MUST be oriented properly (ex: top of the image is up).
- All file names must be labeled with Title, Year, Medium, Dimensions (H x W x D) i.e. Untitled 2, 2015, Acrylic on canvas, 14x14 inches.jpg.
- You must fill in all fields and upload all 5 images in order for your application to be complete.
VIDEO SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Video samples may not exceed 3 minutes in length.
- We will only accept a video artwork piece - NO 'behind the scenes' or 'personal statement' videos
- Video must be submitted as .MOV or MP4 format
- All file names must be labeled with Title, Year, Medium, Dimensions (H x W x D) i.e. Untitled 2, 2015, Acrylic on canvas, 14x14".jpg.
ADDITIONAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- All questions should be answered to the best of your ability.
- Resume and artist statement in PDF format ONLY.
- THIS IS A BLIND REVIEW. Absolutely none of the submitted materials may include the artist's name—the artist's name may not appear in the file name or body of images, statement, CV, or any other submitted files. If a submitted file contains or is titled with the artist's name, the submission will be disqualified and the artist will not be permitted to apply until the next Fellowship cycle.
- Any application that does not adhere to our guidelines will be automatically disqualified
Each year, a rigorous selection review is conducted by a panel of outside curators, critics, and established artists. Through a multi-round process, artists are selected based on the quality and commitment to their work. A final interview and selection is made by A.I.R. Gallery Artists. A mandatory in-person interview is held prior to being accepted to the program. The A.I.R. Fellowship Program is open to artists working in all media and seeks to work with those that could benefit from the opportunities that the program offers. Six artists will be awarded a Fellowship. This year's panelists include Anaïs Duplan, Michelle Kuo, and Xaviera Simmons.
A.I.R. Gallery reserves the right to omit any applications that do not meet our specifications.
If for any reason you do not get an email confirmation from submittable after applying, please email email@example.com. All applicants will be notified by APRIL 2021. Please do not contact the gallery to inquire about your application.